Support Us  Blog Contact Us עברית
The Jerusalem Institute for Israel Studies
Home    News & Events   JIIS Bulletin - May 2012
News & Events
News Database
June 2018 - Forever in Our Hearts?
May 2018 - The American Embassy's transfer to Jerusalem
April 2018 - Upcoming events
September 2017 - Happy New Jewish Year
August 2017 - 'Residents, Not Citizens'
April 2017 - Making space for each other
April 2017 - Happy Passover
December 2016 - Employment and Livelihood among Hared and Ba’alei Teshuva
November 2016 - Together or to each his own?
September 2016 - Updates and upcoming events
June 2016 - The Statstical Yearbook of Jerusalem
April 2016 - The Divine Commander
February 2016 - Upcoming events
December 2015 - Upcoming events
September 2015 - Upcoming events
September 2015 - Shana Tova
June 2015 - East and West: Equality and Inequality in Jerusalem
JIIS Bulletin - June 2015
JIIS Bulletin- September 2014
JIIS Bulletin - July 2014
JIIS Bulletin - March 2014
JIIS Bulletin - September 2013
JIIS Bulletin-Statistical Yearbook
JIIS Bulletin - May 2013
JIIS Bulletin-Remembering Barsi
JIIS Bulletin - December 2012
JIIS Bulletin - September 2012
JIIS Bulletin - July 2012
JIIS Bulletin - May 2012
JIIS Bulletin - April 2012
JIIS Bulletin - February 2012
JIIS Bulletin - December 2011
JIIS Bulletin - September 2011
JIIS Bulletin - July 2011
JIIS Bulletin - June 2011
JIIS Bulletin - March 2011
JIIS Bulletin - January 2011
JIIS Bulletin - November 2010
JIIS Bulletin - October 2010
JIIS Bulletin - May 2012
Who peoples Jerusalem?
The latest population figures show that Jerusalem is growing: in 2011 it was home to 801,000 people – up from 788,100 people in 2010. In all, there were 508,000 Jews (and others) and 293,000 Arabs living in the city last year, or 10% of Israel's total population. More specifically, the Jewish population comprises 8% of the total Jewish population in the country, while the Arab population constitutes 18% of that sector in Israel. 

And while we hear of the years-long drop in the number of Jewish residents, from 74% of the city's population in 1967 to 64% in 2010, the number of Arab residents has been rising concomitantly, from 26% to 36% for the same period – which is way over the national average of 20% in Israel, 10% in Haifa, and 4% in Tel Aviv. In fact, since 1967, the city's population has doubled (the Jewish sector growing by 155% and the Arab sector by 314%).

At the close of 2010, 474,000 persons (Jewish and Arab) lived in areas that were added to the city in 1967. Of those, 192,000 were Jewish and 280,900 Arab, the latter constituting 99% of the Arab population in the city. 

Interestingly, Jerusalem is now the favored destination of new immigrants to Israel, with 15% choosing it as their first place of residence, compared to 6% for Tel Aviv and 5.5% for Haifa. This was not the case for many years, until around a decade ago. Rather, the relative cost of living in Jerusalem was considered quite high, so new immigrants, especially from the former Soviet Union states, opted for towns and small cities around the country – and indeed changed the demographics of those locales. But from 2000, possibly with a new wave of immigration from wealthier Western countries (to the city's more prestigious neighborhoods), new arrivals have opted for Jerusalem in increasing numbers. JIIS researcher Inbal Doron found that in 2010, of the 2,550 olim chadashim who settled in the capital, 860 were from the US, 370 from France, 260 from the UK and 220 from Russia. 

Advanced Search
© All rights reserved to The Jerusalem Institute for Israel Studies Privacy Policy Consulting by בניית אתרים ICS